MOC-99638 St Mark’s Bell Tower Venice
The Bell Tower of San Marco in St. Mark’s Square is one of the symbols of Venice, but not everyone knows that the original building collapsed in 1902 and was rebuilt 10 years later.
The construction of the original bell tower dates back to the ninth century and its purpose was to serve as a watchtower and lighthouse, which then continued to guard the square throughout the history of the Venetian Republic. Symbolically, it was here that modern astronomy began: in 1609, Galileo Galilei used his telescope on top of the clock tower to admire the moons of Jupiter for the first time and to prove that the Copernican theory was correct.
In 1820, the founder, Domenico Canciani Dalla Venezia, fused a new clock with the remains of the old ones (including the largest one, which weighed more than 40 tons); in the collapse of 1902, only the largest one of this assemblage, which still consisted of five large clocks, survived, and it was the famous Marangona successor. After the collapse of the bell tower, the damaged bells were remelted and casts were obtained from pieces of the old bells, which were purposefully recreated from the same materials.
From Designer – STEBRICK
20.050 Bricks, 1:50 Scale, 217 cm high, placed on a 40×65 cm base
Subdivided into 5 Macro blocks so that it can be easily assembled transported and packed when it is not on display:
The Sansovino Loggetta
The Main tower
The belfry with the Five Bells and… you can also move each bells
The attic with effigies of the Lion of St Mark and allegorical figures of Venice as Justice.
The pyramidal spire at the top of which there is a golden weather vane in the form of the archangel Gabriel.
NOTE: VIEW OTHER MOCS FROM STEBRICK